I am Richard Pittman. I am a third generation LSU graduate, living in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I am starting this blog to talk about LSU athletics in general, and about the joys of living in "enemy" territory. This blog will cover football, basketball, baseball (a little), recruiting, and other sports as they come up. I'll also sneak in some posts unrelated to LSU athletics, such as life in Tuscaloosa, my deep and abiding love of alternative music, and law.
A little introduction to me:
- Like I said, I am a third generation LSU graduate. I graduated LSU in Chemical Engineering in 1996. My parents are both LSU graduates, and my maternal grandfather graduated as well.
- I am from Gonzales, LA and have lots of family in the Ascension Parish and Baton Rouge area. My father was a teacher and principal at East Ascension High School, St. Amant High School, and Gonzales Middle School before his retirement several years ago.
- I am an attorney working primarily in Bibb County, Alabama. I went to Law School at the University of Alabama (yes, I know). I graduated in 2005.
- I live in an undisclosed location in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I am married, with pets and a child on the way, but this blog will not be about my personal life.
- I am not an athlete. I never played organized football except in the 3rd grade, and my experience in organized basketball ended when I got to high school. I played a little high school soccer, but frankly I wasn't very good at it, and if I went to a high school that had a well-established program, I probably would not have made the team.
- I will not criticizing players in a personal way, unless they get in major trouble with the law (re: Cecil Collins).
- While I will discuss football recruiting extensively, I will not be evaluating high school talent. I put this limitation on myself for the simple reason that I have no skill in evaluating how a high school player will perform in college. I can watch a highlight tape of a guy and know he's good, but I can't tell the difference between an LSU-level prospect and a ULM-level prospect. For that, I trust the coaches and the semi-professional scouts at Rivals and Scout. My discussions of recruiting will focus on the battles for recruits, evaluating recruiting needs, and discussing LSU's standings in the college football recruiting world.
- I will not criticize other teams in a knee-jerk, purple-and-gold-colored glasses way. It's just not my style to say something like, "Bama will suck this year because Saban will ruin them." I don't believe it to be true, and even if I did believe it, I do have to live and do business in the Tuscaloosa area. I will try to evaluate other teams, especially in the SEC, but I will do so in a fair and objective way to the best of my ability.
- I will not ever use the phrase, "LSU gets no respect from the media."
- I will not be giving you "inside information", because I don't have any.
- I will not ever call for a coach to be fired, even if I personally believe the coach should be fired.
- I will not be discussing sex or politics, except as they intersect with sports.
I hope you see this and check back frequently. I probably will not post every day, but I want to post on average about 4 to 5 times per week, more or less, depending on what is going on in the world of athletics. Drop me a line in the comments. I'd like to hear from you.