Saturday, November 10, 2007

Game Day: La Tech

I may regret saying this later, but right now I just don't care that much about the LSU game. I just don't expect it to be a competitive game, and it's not on television. As such, I just can't get hyped up for it. I'm more hyped up for the rest of the SEC slate.

What I look for with LSU is for us to build a lead early, and to get our best players out. We have two, and probably three, more SEC games left, and there's no such thing as an easy SEC game this year. Not even against Ole Miss. Just ask Florida and Bama. Ole Miss pushed those guys to the buzzer, and they in turn pushed us to the buzzer. If we can shorten this week and get our guys mentally and physically rested for the final stretch, I will be very happy about it.

If we have to take a competitive game into the 4th quarter of this one, I will not be happy about it.

Anyway, here's my schedule for the day:

Now to 11:30am: Errands, and work around the house. Possibly an excursion to the library as well.

11:30am - 2:30pm: Bama vs. Mississippi State, Lincoln-Financial. If Sly Croom can get his team to 7 wins, I say he is the SEC Coach of the Year. That won't be easy, but it's not impossible either. He has a decent team, and he isn't completely overmatched talent-wise in any remaining game. He'll even be favored against Ole Miss. The problem is that he's an underdog here, and will be again next week. What I said weeks ago remains true here. I expect MSU to be competitive in its games, but its lack of big play ability will make it very hard for MSU to actually win. It's hard to put together 10-12 play drives time after time, and MSU isn't a team that can go 80 yards in 4 plays. They just don't have the speed or the passing ability. Bama has that speed and that passing ability, and they have the firepower to get quick scores at times. Plus, they'll be highly motivated to avenge their loss last year.

2:30pm - 6:00pm: Auburn at Georgia, CBS. These teams are very evenly matched, and this is a 50-50 game. I'm really interested, as always, in seeing whether Matt Stafford can be productive against a good defense. Sometimes he's lousy, and sometimes he's awesome, and that usually makes the difference between a win and a loss for Georgia. Georgia does a lot of its passing on play action, which means that they need to establish the run to pass. So the matchup to watch here is the Georgia offense against the Auburn defense. Those are the two best units on the field, and that matchup should decide this game.

6:00pm - 7:00pm: Chill out for a while. Maybe grab a bite to eat.

7:00pm - 11:00pm: I'm going to try to find LSU on internet radio. If I can do that, I'll listen to that while watching Florida against South Carolina on ESPN. If not, I'll just watch ESPN. Florida and South Carolina is the less interesting of the 3 television games to me. It simply comes down to whether or not South Carolina can rebound. If not, forget it. If so, this will be a good game. Of course, this game could be a big game in the standings, and could be the deciding factor for whether or not Florida goes to the SEC Championship Game.

It will be a good day, and we'll know a lot more about the SEC East at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Poseur said...

espn360 if you get it. The game will be on my computer.