Thursday, May 17, 2007

Whimsical Thursday

It completely slipped my mind that it was Wednesday yesterday. Hence, you got no Whimsical Wednesday. Today will be Whimsical Thursday.

At the risk of eroding my alt-rock street cred, I will reveal that one of my favorite bands is The Cranberries. Yes, I really like a good pop song, and I think The Cranberries put together a rock melody with catchy lyrics as well as anyone.

It upset me for years that The Cranberries just unceremoniously disappeared from the scene. They faded away as '90s rock faded away, leaving me thinking they'd left something on the table. I simply always thought Delores O'Riordan had more good music in her.

Then I found out two days ago that Delores O'Riordan is coming out with a solo album. Unfortunately, my source of this news angered me by saying, "She has always sounded like Alanis Morissette and Lisa Loeb." I literally exclaimed at the television. First of all, Alanis Morissette and Lisa Loeb sound nothing like each other, and neither sounds like Delores O'Riordan. AM sounds angsty and screechy. LL has a pretty voice, but it is straight chick folk rock. DO'R has a distinct Irish brogue that comes through even in her singing, without sounding angsty or folky.

Here's a collection of videos:

LINGER



For some reason, that video of Linger seems to have the video and music off-sync. I don't know if it's just for me though.

Dreams - my personal favorite of their songs.



Zombie - rockin' out a little, but honestly the video looks a little ridiculous now.



Ridiculous Thoughts - with Elijah Wood



Free to Decide


No comments: