Wednesday, April 4, 2007

It's that time of year again

I want to like baseball. I really do. I actually like baseball quite a bit. My only problem is that I don't have a rooting interest. If I had a real rooting interest, I could do things like keep up with the hot stove league, pay attention in June, and even know who's leading divisions at any given time. I've been trying to pick a permanent team for years. Here are my criteria:
  • It can't be the Yankees, the Braves, or the Rangers,
  • It has to be well-run. It doesn't have to be competitive every year, but there must be some hope of being competitive on a regular basis,
  • It must not be a recent expansion team,
  • It must not be doomed to constantly lose its best players to free agency,
  • It must not constantly buy up the best free agents from poorer teams.
I usually root at least a little for the O's, mainly because Poseur's enthusiasm for them is infectious. Sadly, though, they fail the second test, being among the most poorly run teams in the league.

I think this year I will root for the Brewers. They're expected to be reasonably competitive, and they have a player on their team that I watched when I used to work in Dixie Youth baseball. Ben Sheets was in that league at that time, and incidentally, he wasn't one of the best players in that league. He was a late bloomer who just got better and better after the other people his age peaked in high school.

Anyway, this being Whimsical Wednesday, here's a YouTube of penguins chasing a butterfly.

No comments: