Sunday, April 29, 2007

Light bloggin - quick hits

Some quick hits on the draft:
  • Congratulations to Craig Davis, who I think will be a very solid player, and who I think fits perfectly into the situation in San Diego.
  • I'm not at all surprised or disappointed that the Saints went with a receiver. For all the talk of needing defense, I don't think people realize that Devery Henderson is entering the season as the Saints' #2 wide receiver. Ouch. Finding a productive wide receiver was probably the single biggest immediate need the Saints had remaining after signing a solid CB and a solid LB during free agency. Robert Meachem underachieved for much of his career at Tennessee, but broke out in a big way in 2006 with 71 catches for over 1,200 yards. I like the pick.
  • If you want a receiver who probably was picked too late, how about Steve Smith from USC? He was a 3-year starter who caught 20 touchdown passes and had almost 3000 yards receiving in his career, despite being 2nd banana to Mike Williams and Dwayne Jarrett his entire career. He went in the middle of the second round.
  • How did Georgia's Charles Johnson slip so far? Every time I saw Georgia play, Johnson was the best player on the field. He was a monster at rushing the passer. I hate to see a Division rival get better, but I have to think that Carolina got a steal by getting him in the middle of the third round.
  • The Saints appear to be going heavy on the small schools, drafting a corner out of Kent State and a guard out of Akron. With a receiver in the fold, it was not necessary to get immediate contributors with these picks, so we could afford to take a chance.
  • The Saints' biggest needs are now probably depth at defensive tackle and depth at linebacker. We have two picks in the 4th round, and we can get players at both of those positions. With my big-school, SEC bias (born out of ignorance of other systems), I'm hoping Brandon Siler is around when the Saints pick again. I'm very surprised he's still there, as I thought he would be picked in the second. Earl Everette, also of Florida, is still there as well.
  • I don't have a problem if the Saints pick Marcus Thomas, the troubled defensive tackle from Florida. Yes, he's a major head case, but he's a first round talent at a position of need who could be available when we pick in the 5th round. We'd have to pick a second DT though, just in case he decides he'd rather go on a crack bender than show up to practice.
  • Whatever happened to Quentin Culberson from Mississippi State? That dude was good, but he isn't even in nfl.com's list of Mississippi State's prospects. I checked, and he was senior last year. I don't get it.

No comments: