Saturday, March 8, 2008

"How I Dearly Wish I Was Not Here"

I recently got a request for music videos. I used to post a lot of music videos, mostly to classic alt-rock or alt-pop from the '80s and '90s. I just sort of got out of the habit once football season started and I didn't pick it back up when football season ended.

One of the things about being a mostly one-person operation is that I'm somewhat dependent upon the fickle whims of inspiration. I can really only do something if I have some desire to do it. For a while now, I haven't had the desire to seek out videos to the music I like, but I'm making an effort. I present to you "Every Day is Like Sunday" by Morrissey:



I'm not a big Morrissey fan at all. This is the only Morrissey solo song I'm actually familiar with, though I like some of what The Smiths did. I like the song, but primarily I'm posting it because it is an example of '80s and '90s music videos that were weirdly detached from the song.

The music video posted above is about a young woman, attractive in an '80s Madonna-ish sort of way, struggling to make sense of a world that she finds offensive or vacuous. She goes through town and is bothered by butchers selling meat and by people mistreating animals. She finds her inspiration in the Beavis-like good looks of Morrissey, and achieves some sort of peace knowing there are kindred spirits out there if she can just find them.

The song is not about that at all. It's about nuclear war. It's about how following the apocalypse, every day is pretty much the same and it gets kind of lonely.

I don't know why music video producers and directors so frequently strayed so far from the subject matter of the songs in designing a video around, but this is clearly one of the most egregious examples. Granted, the song is slow and kind of romantic sounding, so it doesn't exactly shout "I'M ABOUT THE HORRORS OF GENOCIDE," but the director had to know what it was about. Surely someone told him.

If you don't know the song, go ahead and click the video and listen. Despite its subject matter, it's actually a pretty catchy and melodic tune.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard: I made a couple of comments on the Wed Mar 5th article.

Please read them...I tried to edit out my mistakes, but I guess that as these are may first few posts to your site, I don't really know how to correct mistakes without re-posting/double-posting.

Therefore, feel free to change my obvious omissions or typos for (readability sake) and delete the first two posts as I essentially say the same thing in the last one.

But, I wanted to make sure that you read my comments from the post a few days ago since I may have started or at least stoked up this whole firestorm. I regret my part and that the misunderstanding and hard feelings continue.

Catahoula Lake

Richard Pittman said...

I may one day really endeavour to go back, but for right now I'm just done with TD. For the past while, all I've really enjoyed doing on there is posting pictures of the baby, responding to posts about legal issues, and giving the occasional relationship advice. Other than that, there isn't much I like to do. I had pretty much stopped talking about sports on that website, because I stopped enjoying it. The discussion just isn't good enough.

I appreciate your comments a lot. I don't know what the deal is with the "racial" comments, and honestly I think I'd rather not know the details.

I am not egotistical enough to think my absence will damage TD in any way. I didn't post that often, even when I was at the height of my posting. I never did get to 10,000 posts I don't think, even if you count both of my screen names, and I had been there since 2003. Some people get that many in a couple months. I never really created drama (though when I did, it was the sort that got deleted rather than advertised). I don't think, as a poster, that I added much of the kind of stuff that TD really values. Hence, they probably think "good riddance" about my absence.

I do think it's strange, however, that user-to-user drama is encouraged while user-to-board drama brings out the guillotine.

Anonymous said...

Not bad on the video. Morrissey cornered the market on miserable bastard rock long before it was called emo. Taken with a grain of salt, its quite amusing. Some other funny Morrissey solos you might want to check out:

Hairdresser on fire -
"You are repressed
But you're remarkably dressed"

The last of the famous international playboys

We hate it when our friends become successful

You're the one for me, fatty

RF LLP